Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sigma




At the start of the Fall semester I knew that I wanted to get more involved in Institute and other activities. When I went to Rush Week, I found out about the Institute Fraterity, Sigma Gamma Chi. Rush week is where they have a big outdoor party and you can join one of the chapters. I thought that it sounded fun and would be a great way to get involved. A friend and I walked around and looked at all the different chapters that there were and we chose Sigma. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but I knew that there would be activities and new friends so I was good to go.

I don't really have too many pictures to document it all, but here is what I have. We have activities every Wednesday where we get together and do something fun. Also, every week there is pizza night at the Pie Pizzeria. We also had exchanges with the sorority chapters where we get together with the girls. Some of those included playing football, going to the Haunted Village, a picture scavenger hunt, and others. Everyone worked hard to plan activities and that made it a lot of fun.


One activity that we had was called "Catch a Cougar". We carpooled down to BYU and walked around campus asking girls out. When we "caught" one, we met up with the rest of the guys at the Brick Oven for pizza. It certainly put me out of my comfort zone, but we all found girls and had an enjoyable night. I'm in this picture...just behind the other people, so you'll have to pretend to see me.


Another activity was the Battle of the Chapters. All of the fraternity and sorority joined together and each fraternity chapter was paired up with a sorority chapter. During the week, we collected food for the food drive, then we met together at the SLCC campus. There were games, relay races, tug of war, crab soccer and tons of other competitions.


Our advisor's brother owns the Rio Tinto Stadium, so we were able to go watch a REAL soccer game and sit in the owner's suite. It was a lot of fun. The owner's son also served in the Rome Italy Mission with me, so it was good to see him there too.

Sigma Gamma Chi stands for Service to God and Country. The whole fraternity includes about 12 different chapters. Each chapter has about 30 to 40 guys. It is awesome to see that good that it does. All the activities built unity and brotherhood. We did service projects and did a couple of temple trips. There were a lot of other activities that were really great. One of the best things is to hang around people who have the same values as you do. I'm glad that I am a part of it, and I look forward to when things start up again next semester.

2 comments: